Remember to Secure your Apartment if you are away for the Holidays
Any renters who will be traveling during the Holiday Season should be sure to secure their Athens Ohio apartments in order to keep their homes and belongings safe. If you are traveling during the Holidays or any time of the year and will be away from your home, here are a few tips on securing your apartment.
- First of all, take the simple step to make sure all of your doors are locked when the last person leaves. This sounds obvious, but you would be surprised at how many people leave their back doors, and even sometimes their front doors unlocked when they leave for an extended period of time.
- Check your windows and make sure they are closed and locked.
- Talk to the U.S. Post Office to have your mail held while you are away so that it does not pile up in your mailbox. You can find out more about how to do this on The U.S. Postal Service website.
- Keep the heat on. Anyone who lives in the Athens Ohio apartments needs to keep their heat on during the winter in order to keep the unit safe. We recommend keeping the temperature at least as warm as 63 degrees.
- Cold water drips in your sinks. It’s also a good idea to leave cold water drips in sinks and to open the cabinets under the sinks in order to expose the piping to warmth so that your pipes don’t freeze.
- Unplug items that don’t need to be on while you are gone. You might as well save your electricity bill by unplugging a few items.
- Tell your landlord. It’s always a good idea to tell us if your unit will be empty for an extended period of time in case there are any problems.
So if you are leaving during the Holiday Season, we hope you have a great trip and we hope you contact us today and let us know.
It’s important to remember that these tips are also key if you are leaving your Athens Ohio apartments for spring break, or even if no one will be home for a long weekend.
As renters, you should be prepared during the fall, winter and spring for potential problems caused by cold temperatures if your home will be empty. In addition, it’s always good to keep your home safe and secure no matter what time of year it is.
For more tips for your rental if it is going to be empty for an extended period of time, be sure to check in with our rental agents.
Court Street Photo thanks to the Athens News!